Friday, January 5, 2007

Everyday French

There is a certain mystique surrounding all things French. The food in particular has a reputation for being incredibly incredible. But, as anyone who's had the misfortune of eating a Lucky Luke burger can tell you, it's not all gourmet. There's a side to France that we just don't pay much mind to. It's the everyday life, just like we have, but French.

Remember how Julia Child made a huge splash with Mastering the Art of French Cooking, bringing trussed rabbits and timbales to Americans? We all bought into the mystique--myself included. The first year after I returned home from Europe, I decided that we would have our own galette des rois (they're not only showy, but incredibly tasty). I did what you would expect to make an authentic galette: I made everything from scratch. I even spent two days making my own puff pastry, making sure to use only unsalted butter (clearly this was before kids!). I spent an hour making my own crème patissiere, grinding the almonds that I had blanched and skinned to make the frangipane filling. It's a wonder I didn't fire up a kiln and make my own fève.

Now, don't get me wrong, I love almost everything about France (except the Post Office, the Post Office drives me nuts, but that's another story). But the stereotype falls apart in the face of everyday life. The average Parisienne never even gets out a rolling pin, but puts on her Audrey Hepburn pedal pushers and high-tails it down the street to her favorite patissier, and buys the thing ready-made. The baker even gives her the paper crown, and if she's lucky, she'll get a designer fève.

Even the average, non-glamorous French housewife and mère (my French equivalent) doesn't go to the same lengths as I did umpteen years ago. If she's in a hurry, she might buy one for her family at the supermarket bakery, but the fève will be a little plastic moon. If she's serving guests though, she would make it from scratch. But her scratch is still not Martha or Julia. While she's at the local supermarché, she'll pick up a package of frozen puff pastry and a packet of preparation pour crème frangipane. Yup, that's right, frangipane filling mix--just add water!
And that is just what I shall do this year. I picked up some puff pastry at the coop this morning, and still have one packet of the mix from my foray into the Cora in Molsheim last year. We shall have an authentic galette des rois for Epiphany tomorrow. Vive la France !

No comments:

Post a Comment