Thursday, January 4, 2007

The curry rut

When I was a kid, the only coconut was either in a tropical lifesaver or the bag of stale white flakes that Mom bought for baking some fancy cake. While fresh coconuts are still a rarity in our household, there is always at least one can of coconut milk in the larder.

But I seem to be burning through a huge amount of coconut milk these days. Clearly I'm making too much curry: our exchange student, only with us for six weeks, was subjected to my curry no less than three times during his stay (and he didn't always make it home for supper).

With a Verbot on stir fry from Number One Son, I must dig deeper to find hearty dishes for rice days. Every culture has some sort of stew served on a bed of something, often rice for many of them. Crawfish étouffée? Perhaps a koresh? Shrimp Newburg? Chicken à la king?
Must get out of the curry rut.

No comments:

Post a Comment