Sunday, December 24, 2006

Party food

Our strategy for potlucks is to always bring what we know we can eat, since we never know if we'll be able to eat what others bring. Yesterday, a rice day, was white elephant gift exchange party with a potluck, so I rolled some sushi. I had some cucumber and avocado sliced into strips and some shrimp that I mixed with mayonnaise for the filling. A little bit of gomasio garnished the cucumber rolls.

Two generous cups of rice make seven rolls (and a couple rice balls), and about five rolls fit on my white square platter. That should mean we have two rolls to nosh on before we leave. My misguided hope is that my kids will be satisfied with that and not make pigs of themselves at the party. The extras, including the shaggy end cutoffs, disappeared as I wrapped the platter in plastic wrap. I got one piece!

Unfortunately, there were slim pickings at this potluck--2 veggie trays, a bowl of grapes, a fruit platter and some cold chicken. The sushi was gone within 15 minutes, and it wasn't just my kids!

No comments:

Post a Comment