Sunday, February 11, 2007

Gung hoy

For as long as we can remember, we have made a date near Chinese New Year with old friends to eat Chinese food. Before kids, it meant going out to our current favorite restaurant, eating and catching up. Over the years, we have evolved through early parenthood (though they remain child-free, as they term it) through years of takeout. Now we've taken to cooking it ourselves together in our homes.

Last night was that night. We split up the menu: I chose to make Dear Husband's perennial favorite of cashew chicken, along with BBQ pork, which I could make ahead. I also wanted to try one of our friend's favorites, Mu Shu Pork, that yummy mix of slivers of cabbage and pork and bean sprouts, all wrapped up with hoisin sauce in a delicate pancake. I really didn't feel like spending hours making ultra-thin pancakes, and I didn't see them at the supermarket. I admit, I didn't try the Asian market, since I still wanted to avoid wheat. I was intrigued by a package of spring roll wrappers at the co-op, so I thought I'd give them a try. I recall spring rolls as having a tender outside, and the label told me they were made with tapioca flour. Sounded perfect.

I roasted the BBQ pork the night before, opting to omit the bright red food coloring. In the morning, I cut it up into thin slices and tucked those in the fridge. Then I spent some quality time with my knife turning a second pork loin into matchstick meat for the Mu Shu, plopping it in a Tupperware with the marinade. I packed two bags of groceries, and tucked in my favorite knife. Off to dirty someone else's kitchen!

They were already frying up some rice and gyoza when we got there, and there was a gigantic mound of vegetables (I adore baby bok choy) waiting its turn. My darling husband poured me a glass of cider, and I set to work, chopping up the celery, carrots and chicken. Once I got that going in the wok, I moved onto chopping up the chanterelles and cabbage for the Mu Shu. The veggies were nearing completion, so Music Man tackled the 'pancakes.' Getting the package open too two adults and a pair of scissors, and once open, we discovered the pancakes were as stiff as cardboard--they were even imprinted like the industrially-textured metal found in truck beds. We conferred, and agreed that maybe a quick jaunt in the microwave with a moist towel would soften it up. Thirty seconds later, our two test victims were even stiffer and curled under around the edges, exactly the opposite of the desired effect. Hmm. More water, perhaps? Music Man tried a quick dunk in water, at which point, they softened up, but became translucent and so sticky and limp as to be terribly unappetizing. We both tore off a bit and tasted it. As we were making faces at each other, Music Man's wife kept offering more upbeat suggestions, sure we could salvage the situation. We tore off a bit and popped it in her mouth. Silence, then, "well, it has no flavor, at least." "Yes, but the texture is like a rubber glove." More silence. And then, "Y'know, I think Mu Shu pork tastes great just on rice." Heads nodded all around, and we quickly moved ourselves to the table, where we lingered for several hours, only rising to fetch more stuff from the kitchen.

We always regret not doing it more often, but at least we do it once a year, and it's so much more personal than a Christmas card!

No comments:

Post a Comment