Wednesday, January 24, 2007

How do you wrap soup?

British Neighbor's husband had his birthday yesterday, and here I was, sweating not having got a present for the man who raved about my lentil soup. "That's it," I cried, "lentil soup!" "But you can't give soup, Mommy, that's weird!" I think there's nothing weird about it. It's homemade, and I know he'll like it.

I made up a pot, left it to simmer while I ran afternoon errands, and finished it off in time to take it over for their tea (that's what they eat in the evening). Youngest Son produced a bow from the bag of gift wrap, so we poured a large portion into a container, stuck a gold bow on top, and carted it next door.

There was a series in the Seattle Post-Intelligencer a few weeks back: their food editor had just returned from her maternity leave, and did a whole spread on how to cook and deliver dinner. At first glance, I thought it odd that people had to be told to do this--of course, you bring food when people are born, die or are sick (I have family ties to Minnesota). It was clear the author was deeply touched by the efforts made by others; it is likely the first time in her adult life that she has had to be dependent on someone else for so much. It is when we are at our most vulnerable that we need help most, yet we are least able or likely to ask for it.

When we give of food, we feed a person's body, but we also give the gift of ourselves. But it's not all altruistic: if you cook twice as much, you get to eat the rest for your own supper, sharing the meal.

No comments:

Post a Comment