Monday, January 8, 2007

Potage Parmentier

Well, I was looking for a way out of a rut, and I found one. When I run across an interesting title (book or music or movie), I put in a reserve in our library system, and sit back and wait. Since I'm constantly putting in reserves and they move to the top of the queue at different speeds, they come up somewhat randomly, like a disorganized, multimedia version of Netflix. This weeks' bounty included DVDs of Vera Drake and Before Sunset, together with Carlo Petrini's Slow Food: The Case for Taste and Julie & Julia: 365 days, 524 recipes, 1 tiny apartment kitchen by Julie Powell.

I ventured into Carlo's thin tome, to be daunted by the heaviness of the task for those of us who would like to change the world. Let's face it, sometimes I have trouble just getting my kids out the door to school in the morning. The prospect of tilting at windmills makes me want to crawl back under the covers. So, I set Carlos aside for now and plunged instead into Julie's delightful book. I'm only a few chapters in, but am enjoying her voyage as well as her excellent writing. And how perfectly it jibed: as I opened the fridge, looking for inspiration on this potato day (Mondays and Fridays chez nous), there were two beautiful leeks. And indeed, her first chapter is how she stumbled into making the potato and leek soup recipe that opens Julia Child's Mastering the Art of French Cooking. So, after playing a couple of rounds of leek charades with the kids (we decided the moose, violinist and carpenter were the best), there's a pot of potage Parmentier simmering on my stove. No worries, I'm not going to follow Julie's path, but I am very grateful for her reminder to dust off the volume dotted with fleurs-de-lis. Of course, there is a small risk that I might get stuck in the soup chapter.

No comments:

Post a Comment